USA Tourist Visa | USA Visitor Visa | USA Family Visa | USA B2 Visa – To visit Family and Friends

USA Tourist Visa for Friend and Family:

USA B2 Visa – To visit Family and Friends:
Aliens visiting the United States temporarily for pleasure are covered by the B-2 non-immigrant visa (NIV) category.
8 CFR §41.31(b)(2) defines pleasure as “legitimate activities of a recreational character including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities.”

The duration of authorized stay for a B-2 holder is decided by the immigration officer at the time of the B-2 holder’s entry into the U.S. The great majority of visits to the United States under the B-2 visa category are brief, lasting only a few weeks or a few months. However, any B-2 visitor who is found admissible by the inspecting CBP officer at the time of entry, and therefore issued a Form I-94, will be admitted for a minimum of 6 months, regardless of the time requested (OI § 214.2(b); 8 CFR § 214.2(b)(2)). Under proper circumstances, a period of admission of one year on initial entry is obtainable. Extensions to the initial duration of stay can be obtained in increments of 6 months.

Letter of Invitation For USA B-2 Visa Application:
A letter of invitation is a letter written by a United States citizen or legal resident, confirming that they are willing to admit into their house an international with whom they have family ties, or friendship, and also that they have enough room for the visitor for the entire period of their stay in the US.

The letter of invitation, by no means guarantees the issuance of a visa to the applicant. The applicant has to fulfill the other US visa requirements such as means of subsistence, proving strong ties to their home country, etc. and go through the application process for a US visa in order to be granted with a visa. In addition, the applicant must show that they will use the visa appropriately.

Usually the visa applicant will have to submit a letter of invitation for a B2 visa application which is a US Tourist Visa. Keep in mind that it is not a must, but it is highly recommended. The host must fulfill the following requirements in order for the letter of invitation to be valid:

  • must be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident
  • must be your friend, boyfriend / girlfriend or relative
  • must have a registered place (home, flat)
  • must have enough room for the applicant.

How to Write a letter of Invitation for U.S Visa Application?
Writing a letter of invitation might seem challenging for both, the host and the guest. However, the process of writing it is very simple. The letter should be addressed either to the consular officer or to the guest. When writing it, the guest must be very careful to include in the letter all of the required information which is:

  • Host’s full name
  • Host’s date of birth
  • Host’s address and telephone number in the United States
  • Host’s occupation
  • Host’s status in the United States
  • A photocopy of a document proving host’s status in the United States
  • Guest’s full name
  • Guest’s date of birth
  • Guest’s address and telephone number
  • Guest’s relationship to the host
  • The purpose of the trip
  • Information on how long the guest intends to stay in the United States of America (specific dates)
  • Details on accommodation and living expenses
  • Signature of the host
  • The letter, when addressed to the guest, does not have to sound official. It should be more personal, so that you show you have close relations with the guest.

B2 Visa Invitation Letter Sample:

There is no specific method or style of writing an invitation letter. If the letter contains the above listed details, then the letter is okay. However, if you still have no clue where to start, or feel unsure about the letter you have just written, you can find two samples of letter of invitation below.

Sample of letter of invitation addressed to the consular officer
United States Consulate General
[Address of the Consulate]

Dear Honorable Consul,

[Visitor’s Name] – PASSPORT NO XXXXXXXX – Born on [Visitor’s Date of Birth]

My name is [Host’s Name], residing at [Host’s Address] and I am a United States citizen (or lawful permanent resident alien).

I am requesting that you issue a tourist (B-2) visa to [Visitor’s Name] who resides at [Visitor’s Address]. This is to allow him to visit me in the United States. We have known and been friends for the past 3 years and I would like him to visit me this summer.

[Visitor’s Name] will be visiting me from [Date of Entry] to [Date of Exit]. This will be a great time because we will both be off work at this time. During his / her stay in the United States, he/she will stay with me at my home at the address stated above.

I will be responsible for his / her accommodation expenses while he / she is in the United States. Upon the termination of his / her visit, he / she will return to [Visitor’s Hometown].

[Visitor’s Name] will be presenting this letter to you, together with other evidence to establish his close ties with [Visitor’s Home Country], and to assure you that he / she will return prior to the expiration of his / her stay in the United States.

Your kind consideration of this request will be highly appreciated.

Yours Truly,
[Host’s Name]
[Host’s Address]
[Host’ Phone Number]
[Host’s signature]

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

Complete the Online Visa Application:
Online Nonimmigrant Visa ApplicationForm DS-160 – Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.

Prepare for Your Interview: Fees – Pay $160 / PKR 18720 non-refundable visa application fee, if you are required to pay it before your interview. If your visa is approved, you may also need to pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality.

Photo  You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

Gather Required Documents:
Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

  • The purpose of your trip,
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip, and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant’s residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

Affidavit of Support – which is a USCIS Form I-134, available on the USCIS website. This should be submitted only in case the host plans to financially support the guest.

Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant.

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live.

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. Review the interview wait time for the location where you will apply:

B-2 holders may change status to other non-immigrant status, like H-1, J-1, F-1 or B-1. A change of status from B-1 or B-2 to J-1 or F-1 is a common scenario because enrolling in a course of study is expressly prohibited while under either of the B visa categories. However, one should be cautious when changing from B-1 status to another non-immigrant status. Using the B category as a stepping stone to a different non-immigrant status for the purpose of avoiding the more stringent application procedures associated with the new status is frowned upon by USCIS.

Your visa can be delayed under 221 (g) and denied under 214 (b). If the application is delayed the applicant needs to provide additional information as per the request of the visa officer. If the visa officer denies the visa then the applicant may apply again if the applicant feels that his or her circumstances have changed. || Source ||

USA Official Webpage for B1, B2 Visa