J1 Visa | USA scholarships | Scholarships

USA J1 Visa | USA Scholarships for Pakistan:

USA J1 Visa:
A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S. J-1 university or college students, like all J-1 visa holders, have a cultural component to their program in addition to their academic work. This component gives J-1 students an opportunity to engage more fully with U.S. citizens and share their cultures with their U.S. host communities.

USA Scholarships:
The J-1 College and University Student Program is one of the 15 J-1 program categories. J-1 university or college students must pursue a full course of study only at a post-secondary, accredited academic institution in the United States to maintain their J-1 status. The J-1 College and University Student Program offers study in all fields and opportunities to gain important career-related training as a student intern in a program that will fulfill the educational objectives for the student’s degree program in their home country.


J-1 university or college students coordinate with the designated program sponsor’s Responsible Officer. Program sponsors are organizations designated by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Private Sector Exchange. These program sponsors monitor the health, safety and welfare of J-1 students throughout their program and ensure they are pursuing a full course of study at a U.S. postsecondary, accredited academic institution and maintaining their status.

For additional information about J-1 program specifics, check out the J-1 College and University Student Program page on the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website.

Many different visa categories permit nonimmigrants to travel to the United States. Nonimmigrant international students usually enter the United States using one of three visa types: F-1, J-1 or M-1. Each visa is designed for a specific purpose. In this blog series, the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program will help you better understand the J-1 visa.

Interested in Studying in the United States?
Consider the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program. The Exchange Visitor Program (J-1 visa), overseen by the U.S. Department of State, provides opportunities for more than 300,000 foreign exchange visitors to participate in 15 diverse program categories each year. Each of these 15 categories is specifically geared toward cultural exchange.

It is important to remember that not all J-1 exchange visitors come to the United States to study. There are different types of cultural exchange programs available under J-1 exchange visitor status. Of the 15 J-1 program categories, those designed specifically for study or research at secondary and post-secondary institutions in the United States are Secondary School StudentCollege and University StudentProfessor and Research ScholarShort-term Scholar and Specialist.

As a central part of the experience, J-1 visa exchange programs include a cultural component that gives exchange visitors the opportunity to engage more fully with Americans and share their cultures with their U.S. host communities. There are also opportunities for J-1 exchange visitors to strengthen their English language abilities.

To participate in the Exchange Visitor Program, exchange visitors must be sponsored by one of the State Department’s U.S.-based designated sponsor organizations  authorized to administer the program. Sponsors include more than 1,500 academic, for-profit, non-profit, and federal, state, and local government entities. Sponsors are responsible for screening and selecting eligible exchange visitors to participate in the program, as well as for monitoring the exchange visitors to ensure their health, safety and welfare while they are in the United States.

In areas where there are large placements of exchange visitors, J-1 sponsors also play a role in arranging cultural activities, such as sporting events, tours of city halls and museums, and visits to national landmarks.

Are you interested in learning more about the different J-1 visa categories? Visit the J-1 website and download the one-page Exchange Visitor Program fact sheet. || Source ||

Program Fees:

Unless you are in a federally funded exchange program, sponsor organizations charge participants program fees. Fees vary from sponsor to sponsor based on the exchange category, the sponsor’s program, program duration, etc. Be sure to check with your sponsor to get a breakdown of all costs and fees.


When you are accepted into an exchange visitor program, the program sponsor will issue you a form DS-2019. The program sponsor will tell you if you must pay a SEVIS I-901 fee to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or if this fee is already part of your program fees. If your sponsor pays the SEVIS fee on your behalf, the Sponsor will provide you with a receipt confirming payment. Visit SEVIS-901 fee on the DHS website for more information.

Visa Fees:

Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee – Each exchange visitor who applies for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate must pay the nonimmigrant visa application processing fee. Read more about current fees for State Department services. Visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website to learn more on how to apply for a J visa. Visa applicants need to demonstrate their eligibility for a visa during an interview by a consular officer at the U.S. embassy or consulate, generally in their country of residence.

You will need to provide a receipt showing the visa application processing fee has been paid when you come for your visa interview. NOTE: U.S. Government sponsored exchange visitor J visa applicants and their dependents are not required to pay visa application processing fees if participating in a Department of State, a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), or a U.S. Government funded educational and cultural exchange program that has a program serial number beginning with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 printed on form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

Visa issuance fee – Please review the visa reciprocity tables to determine if an additional visa reciprocity fee must be paid upon visa issuance and the amount of the fee. NOTE: U.S. Government sponsored exchange visitor (J visa) applicants and their dependents are not subject to visa application or issuance fees. || Source ||